If you manage an apartment complex in Central Florida, it’s your responsibility to keep the property and people safe. This includes addressing fire safety concerns.
From 2010 to 2015, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimates that 109,000 apartment fires ignited, killing 400 people, injuring over 4,000 others, and causing $1.3 million in property damage per year. With the proper precautions, you can help reduce the risk of apartment fires and keep your tenants safe if a blaze does break out.
To arrange apartment complex fire suppression in the Orlando metro area, please call United Fire Protection at (407) 218-8348 or contact us online today.
Fire Safety Risks in Apartment Complexes
Here are the top causes of fire in apartment buildings and other multi-family housing from 2011 to 2015 according to the NFPA’s Home Structure Fires report:
- Cooking equipment – A vast majority of apartment fires (71 percent) start in the kitchen. High temperatures, hot surfaces, flammable cooking oil, and the hectic nature of the kitchen all combine to make this room by far the most significant fire hazard in an apartment.
- Heating equipment – The next highest-ranking risk is heating equipment, which is responsible for 7 percent of apartment building fires. Operating furnaces, radiators, boilers, and space heaters safely is important to prevent nearby objects from igniting.
- Smoking materials – While cigarettes and similar products only cause 6 percent of multi-family housing fires, they are the leading cause of apartment fire deaths (33 percent).
- Arson – Apartment building fires are set intentionally in 5 percent of cases.
- Other fire risks – Items such as electrical cords and lighting equipment, clothes washers and dryers, candles, and exposure (the spread of fire from one apartment unit to another) each account for 3 percent or less of multi-family housing fires.
Our Fire Protection Services for Apartment Complexes
As an apartment complex owner or manager, you don’t have direct control over what each tenant does. The best option is to equip your buildings with fire protection systems and other safeguards in case a fire breaks out. Here are the services United Fire Protection offers our customers in Central Florida:
- Fire extinguishers: Don’t expect your tenants to go out and buy their own fire extinguishers. At the very least, you should have ABC extinguishers mounted in the hallways where any tenant experiencing an emergency can find them. You might also choose to outfit each kitchen with a Class K extinguisher to combat the most prevalent cause of apartment fires.
- Fire suppression: We offer advanced fire suppression systems with customizable designs meant to meet the needs of your residential facility. Choose from wet chemical, dry chemical, clean agents, and more to safeguard data center computers and other sensitive equipment onsite.
- Emergency and exit lighting: If a power outage occurs in your apartment complex, the hallways could be plunged into darkness. Make sure tenants can escape safely with illuminated exit signs and other emergency backup lighting.
- Evacuation routing: We’ll evaluate the existing evacuation routes you have on display in your apartment complex. If you need help implementing an evacuation plan, we can assist.
Fire Protection Company for Apartment Complexes in Orlando, FL
The best way to ensure your apartment complex is protected from potential fires is to work with United Fire Protection. If you have concerns about the safety and compliance of the multi-family housing units you oversee, let us help you get your property up to code. We install, test, maintain, repair, and replace the fire protection systems outlined above.
To learn more about the fire protection services we offer, or to schedule an estimate, please contact United Fire Protection.