Far too often, business owners purchase fire extinguishers, mount them to the wall, and then forget about them. However, Florida Fire Prevention Code requires you to inspect and test your fire extinguishers according to a strict schedule. Fire extinguisher inspections and testing are important because:
- A damaged fire extinguisher could be dangerous to use.
- A missing locking pin could indicate tampering.
- A depressurized canister may not function properly.
- Illegible labeling could lead to improper use.
- Your existing systems may need fire extinguisher repair services.
- Skipping inspections and testing could impact your code compliance, possibly resulting in fines and penalties.
Follow the required monthly, annual, six-year, and 12-year inspections to ensure your fire extinguishers remain safe to use for decades to come. To schedule an inspection or test for the fire extinguishers in your Central Florida business, please call United Fire Protection at 407-218-8348 today.
Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Designate a member of your staff to conduct basic fire extinguisher inspections once a month. No professional training is required, and the inspection only involves a few steps, but if you don’t have the time or resources, you can contact United Fire Protection and request this service. Here’s what a monthly inspection involves:
- Make sure wall-mounted extinguishers are accessible.
- Check canisters for signs of physical damage or tampering.
- Ensure the pressure gauge is pointing to the green to indicate a full charge.
- Read the operating instructions to make sure they are legible and facing forward.
- Report any defects to the company’s safety department immediately.
- Initial and date the tag to record the results of the monthly inspection.
Annual Fire Extinguisher Maintenance
While you can conduct monthly checks without special training, yearly inspections must be performed by a Florida state licensed technician. Here’s what a visit from United Fire Protection entails:
- We verify proper extinguisher placement as required by state and federal fire codes based on the type of building you operate.
- We ensure no objects or furniture block access to each fire extinguisher.
- We inspect the fire extinguisher for damage ranging from broken hoses or nozzles to illegible labeling.
- We tag your fire extinguisher with the date of the inspection to ensure code compliance and help you keep track of when it’s time to schedule your next visit from United Fire Protection.
If you think it’s been more than 12 months since your last fire extinguisher inspection, give us a call, and we’ll get you up to code.
Dry chemical fire extinguishers require recharging and maintenance every six years. We empty the extinguishers, recharge them, and change out expired parts to ensure the canisters are safe to use for another six years.
Dry chemical fire extinguishers also require hydrostatic testing every 12 years. United Fire Protection is an authorized DOT hydrostatic cylinder retesting facility. This means we are fully equipped to perform this test, which is necessary to ensure your extinguishers are safe and compliant with Florida Fire Prevention Code.
Schedule a Fire Extinguisher Inspection or Test in Central Florida
If your business is located in the Orlando metro area, trust United Fire Protection for all your fire extinguisher inspections and tests. We’re here to keep your building safe and code compliant. After a visit from us, you’ll quickly realize why building owners and office managers in Central Florida have trusted us with their fire extinguishers since 1994.
Are your fire extinguishers up to code? Are you unsure if they even work at all? To find out, call United Fire Protection at 407-218-8348 or contact us online. We’ll schedule a fire extinguisher inspection at your convenience and work toward getting your building up to code.
Our Service Area: Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Casselberry, DeBary, DeLand, Deltona, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Lakeland, Longwood, Maitland, Orange City, Orlando, Oviedo, Sanford, St. Cloud, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Winter Park, Winter Springs, and the surrounding areas