When it comes to the safety of your building’s occupants, you want to choose the right portable fire extinguisher. Depending on your building and property, CO2 extinguishers may be the ideal choice for you.
Building owners in Central Florida have relied on United Fire Protection for quality commercial fire protection services since 1994. We take your safety seriously, and provide top-notch service you can trust.
For trustworthy portable fire extinguisher services, call United Fire Protection today at (407) 218-8348!
How CO2 Fire Extinguishers Work
A CO2 portable fire extinguisher uses carbon dioxide to take away the oxygen in a fire. It has a very cold discharge which works to remove a fire’s heat.
The carbon dioxide is stored in liquid form in the extinguisher and when the handle is squeezed, pressure creates the CO2 gas. This conversion causes the CO2 gas to release quickly, replacing the oxygen surrounding the flames with carbon dioxide so the fire cannot continue to burn.
Uses of CO2 Fire Extinguishers
CO2 fire extinguishers can be used on Class B and Class C fires, meaning they are usually a popular choice for putting out electrical fires or fires involving flammable liquids such as gasoline. They also do not leave behind any residue after being released. However, CO2 should never be used in kitchen fires involving cooking oil or grease.
CO2 fire extinguishers can be ideal for:
For CO2 fire extinguisher installation in your Central Florida commercial property, contact the United Fire Protection team today!
CO2 Extinguisher Inspections & Service in Central Florida
For all portable fire extinguishers, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) sets standards for inspections and maintenance. CO2 extinguishers require maintenance and inspections at varying intervals:
- Every 30 days: Visual inspection
- Annually: Professional maintenance and inspection
- Every 5 years: Hydrostatic testing
For more information on how United Fire Protection can help you with your CO2 fire extinguisher inspections, contact us today at (407) 218-8348!
Monthly Inspections for CO2 Extinguishers
It may seem unnecessary to visually inspect your CO2 extinguisher every 30 days, but it is critical for ensuring your extinguisher will work properly when needed. CO2 fire extinguishers should be visually inspected to verify:
- It is still the correct extinguisher for your potential classes of fires.
- The seal holding the safety pin is still in place.
- The weight of the canister is correct based on the label (usually 5, 10, 15, or 20 pounds).
- There is no damage to or signs of tampering of the pin, nozzle, or nameplate.
With one or more CO2 fire extinguishers, it’s best to schedule monthly inspections with a professional who can help you adhere to the NFPA and any local authority inspection requirements.
CO2 Fire Extinguisher Annual Maintenance & Inspection
Even if you elect to perform monthly inspections yourself, a licensed Florida technician must perform an inspection and service to your CO2 extinguisher annually. During our annual fire extinguisher maintenance inspection, we will:
- Verify correct CO2 extinguisher placement in accordance with state and federal fire codes.
- Ensure access to the fire extinguisher is clear and not blocked by objects or furniture.
- Inspect the extinguisher for damage or tampering.
- Provide the correct fire extinguisher certification tags with the date of inspection to keep you in compliance with applicable fire codes.
- Date the fire extinguisher certification tags so you know when to schedule your next United Fire Protection visit.
If you need to schedule your annual CO2 fire extinguisher inspection, contact us today!
Hydrostatic Testing for CO2 Fire Extinguishers
Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers must undergo hydrostatic testing every five years. A hydrostatic test exposes the cylinder, shell, and hose assembly to high pressures to assess the structural integrity of your extinguisher unit.
United Fire Protection is an authorized hydrostatic cylinder retesting facility by the Department of Transportation (DOT). We are fully equipped to test all high-pressure cylinders, from CO2 fire extinguishers to SCUBA tanks.
Choose United Fire Protection for Portable Fire Extinguisher Services
If you are ready for CO2 fire extinguisher installation, inspection, maintenance, hydrostatic testing or more, United Fire Protection is here to help. Since 1994, we have been providing the Central Florida region with top-quality fire protection and safety services.
At United Fire Protection, we offer services for all your fire extinguisher needs:
- Fire extinguisher installation
- Fire extinguisher inspection, testing, and certification tags
- Fire extinguisher repair and recharge
- Fire extinguisher training
- Fire extinguisher replacements
- And more!
For CO2 fire extinguisher installation or service in Central Florida, call us at (407) 218-8348 today!
Our Service Area: Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Casselberry, DeBary, DeLand, Deltona, Kissimmee, Lake Mary, Lakeland, Longwood, Maitland, Orange City, Orlando, Oviedo, Sanford, St. Cloud, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Winter Park, Winter Springs, and the surrounding areas.